Monday, November 18, 2013

Bulls Passion Bull of the Day: Ben Gordon

A super jacked, 6'2 shooting guard out of UConn who would absolutely shoot lights out some nights, and other nights, look like a marginal NBA player at best. These words describe one of my all-time favorite Chicago Bulls, Ben Gordon.



Gordon will be perpetually underrated by Bulls fans because he happened to peak at the beginning of the Derrick Rose era. However, if you're a fan of the NBA, then you'll remember his legendary performance against the Boston Celtics in the 2009 playoffs. Gordon poured in absolutely amazing scoring numbers, particularly in his memorable 42 point outbreak in the Game 2 duel with Ray Allen, and his 33 points in a disappointing Game 7 loss.








Because of his spectacular performance, Gordon should hold a special place in every Bulls fan's heart. I know he does in mine. In fact, I went to see the Charlotte Bobcats last season because I wanted to see BG come off the bench for a few minutes. When he entered and received a flurry of boos, I became sick to my stomach. How could fans forget how important Ben Gordon was?!?!?

I suspect fans dislike Gordon for his decision to turn down a contract offer from GarPax early in the season, and his decision to bolt to the Detroit Pistons, where he was a terrible fit from the get-go.  I suspect fans are toeing the company line from management that Gordon should be chastised for turning down an offer from one of the more arrogant management teams in basketball, but I believe BG did what he thought was best for him and his family.

Currently, Gordon sits in basketball purgatory for the future Hornets. He's only played in a single game this season, and I don't know why. Last year, he would sporadically receive decent minutes and respond by pouring in 15-20 points, including a season high of 34.

I would love for the Bulls to acquire Gordon on the cheap after this season, but I think that might be a pipe dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment