Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Heat are so beatable

Yeah, I said it. So beatable. I don't like focusing on other teams (especially one's we aren't playing), but let's face it, the Heat are the only team in the NBA that can beat us. And if they do, it's not because of Dywane Wade or Chris Bosh. It comes down to King James.

If you've been a long time reader, you know I'm one of one Bulls fans in the world that loves LeBron. I was a little pissed that he didn't join us come "Decision" time, but I got over it, and I like watching him play more than any one player today outside of Derrick Rose. He may not have the best jumpshot, but man can he bully his way to the hoop any time he wants to. So with Rose out, he's the best player in the NBA. How do you beat this man?

Well...there's another reason why I love LeBron, and its because him and I are kindred souls psychologically. This is no compliment to either of us--but it's also why the Heat are beatable. The sort of hyper-sensitive, lack of self-awareness that LeBron fosters can only be understood if you go through the same thing. He always says the wrong things, even though he thinks they're right, and then he cowers from big moments.

Reason #1 why the Heat are beatable: LeBron's Psyche


If you disagree, see last year's NBA finals, the Eastern Conference Finals the year before that, this year's All Star game, and heck, the last time he bricked some free throws against the Bulls. He's a sensitive dude, and sensitive guys (myself included) cower when they aren't 110% confident in their abilities. Clearly, as much as I'm sure he'd never admit it, he isn't. It's why he defers to Wade, and its also why Kobe was the alpha dog on the last Olympic team. Sorry Bron, maybe you'll be better at stockpicking (I am).

Everyone needs to understand their limitations, which brings me to my next point...

Reason #2 why the Heat are beatable: LeBron loves his jump shot


What happens when you're EASILY the best in the NBA at getting to the rim since Michael Jordan?

If you thought, take it to the rim every time you need a bucket, you were totally wrong. LeBron would much rather shoot his very streaky and inconsistent pull-up jumper at the top of the key rather than take it to the rim every time. Why? I don't know, but he does it. And when he does that, the Bulls can rejoice with easy rebounds and transition buckets.

When he takes it to the rim? That's fine, you know, we're just the BEST rotational defense in the league. Joakim will force him to dish it out to Battier or Mike Miller, who will quickly be closed out on, and mess their 3's, leading to a fast-break opportunity and more points.

Which brings me to the third reason...

Reason #3 why the Heat are so beatable...The team sucks outside of LeBron and Wade


Joel Anthony, Mario Chalmers, Juwan Howard, Udonis fricken Haslem...I'm not sure if any of these guys would even make the Bulls roster, let alone see the court. Heck, I don't think Battier or Miller would be rotation guys either. And Norris Cole kind of sucks now.

Chris Bosh you say? Whatever, Bosh has somehow become a worse player than Carlos Boozer, and I'm actually glad we got Boozer over Bosh and Amare. He's no real threat (though he killed us last year). I don't see him bouncing back from a fairly mediocre season in the playoffs.

This comes down to Wade + LeBron vs the Bulls. And, assuming LeBron reverts to his old, nervous self, that leaves us with a Wade vs Bulls match-up. I'm comfortable with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment