Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Courtside Bulls Recap

It's not often that I sit courtside at basketball games. During middle school I always had a great view from the bench, and during high school I often sat behind the Stevenson bench--but courtside at an NBA game is something else. I'd like to say it matched my expectations, but as a 300 level dweller, it FAR exceeded anything I thought possible. If you do have the means, I highly recommend checking it out. I don't have the means, but I was fortunate enough to have received them.



I'm sure many have sat courtside before, but it really is an amazing experience. More than anything, it reminded me that at the end of the day, this is still the game I play all the time with my friends. Only these players are approximately 1,000,000x better. It's easy to say a guy sucks when you look at his numbers, but when you see them play that close, you realize just how insanely talented every single player in the league is. A few times I caught myself thinking about how badly Eric Gordon would cross me up if I had to guard him in a Chicago Sport and Social game.


Courtside experience aside, what an incredible game! Three overtimes between two completely evenly matched teams. I feel a little cheated that Anthony Davis couldn't play, but it was great seeing Jason Smith and his eye popping athleticism. I know the New Orleans Pelicans aren't seen as a great team, but the team has several offensive options who can score in a variety of ways.

I admit I had no idea how much a stretch four like Ryan Anderson impacts the game. The Bulls, who rely heavily on switching and other zone elements to pack the lane, did not close out on Anderson in time to affect his shots. He nailed 7 of 11 three pointers, finishing the game with 36 points.

The trio of Tyreke Evans, Jrue Holiday, and Eric Gordon is strangely effective. The Pelicans struggle mightily with the three on the court at the same time, but as a Bulls fan, I envy having three solid playmakers on the same roster--something the Bulls haven't had the luxury of having since the days of Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Toni Kukoc.

Although the last play was heartbreaking, the Bulls played a very solid game, but the Pelicans undoubtedly played equally as well. 

Taj Gibson: Superstar


Since Derrick Rose's gruesome injury, most news surrounding the Bulls has been negative. I'm guilty of it too, believing that it might be time to breakup this team. However, Taj Gibson has emerged not as an offensive threat, but as a dominant two-way player. Taj abused the Pelicans on both ends of the court, highlighted by Ryan Anderson's desperation tackles in the fourth quarter and beyond.

Gibson unleashed a stunning array of post moves that make his $8 million salary look like a bargain. It also makes the departure of Carlos Boozer, via in-season trade, or, more likely, an amnesty release, feasible. Taj is ready to become a full-time starter and a focal point of the Bulls offense.

Should he stay or should he go?



Luol Deng provides the Bulls with a difficult dilemma. Do the Bulls risk losing Deng, an elite defender with solid offensive skills in search of something better? 

I doubt the Bulls find something better right now, or even in the near-future. I hear fans talk every day about acquiring Jabari Parker in the draft, but let's face it, that is not happening. Parker will be a top 4 pick, and the Bulls are simply too good to get a lottery pick. Heck, even if the Bulls traded Deng, I'm not sure they miss the playoffs. 

The only problem with Deng is that he's too good to keep at a reasonable price. Yes, the Bulls have his Bird Rights, which allow them to pay the man pretty much whatever he wants. However, assuming Boozer is amnestied, the Bulls will have little left to sign Nikola Mirotic in the offseason. Mirotic looks like a Euro League MVP, and he will probably demand more than the Mid-Level Exception. If the Bulls sign Deng to a contract in excess of $10 million per year, bringing in Mirotic will be difficult, if not impossible. 

Frankly, I'm glad I'm not in GarPax's shoes right now. I'm not exactly sure whether or not Deng needs to stay, but I love him, and he's an extremely valuable member of this organization. 




Bonus





No comments:

Post a Comment